Monday 7 April 2014

Audioprosthology work experience

A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to be able to follow an audioprosthologist for a few hours and see what the job involved. I must admit that I wasn't really sure what to expect from the morning but was still looking forward to it. It was so good to be able to go and learn about a field that I didn't already know very much about. Again, it had to be in french but it didn't bother me too much because I was counting it as my revision for my french mock which was coming up!! 
When I arrived I was greeted by a lovely lady called Murial Renard, who was kind enough to show me around the clinic she works in. Her job involves fitting hearing aids to children and I was able to watch this happen several times. I have to say I hadn't really considered working with children before because it hadn't appealed to me but after today it is definitely something I would like to think about. It was really amazing to watch the look on the children's faces when they could hear again and it was equally as wonderful to see how happy the parents were to see a change in their children. I felt privileged to be able to watch something like this happening so I can only imagine how incredibly satisfying it must be to be able to cause this. Even though it isn't a field I had considered, I feel as though it really showed me how much satisfaction there is in being a medical professional of this kind. It was also clear to me that the qualities I saw in all of the doctors in surgery were quite easily transferable to this profession. A sense of humour, good people skills and patience were all very important in the consultations I saw. I can't wait to be able to put these qualities to use myself and start helping people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment