Wednesday 30 July 2014

Work Experience

Having already done some work experience in France and finding out how exciting it can be, it's fair to say when I was able to organise some more in England with an NHS doctor I was absolutely chuffed. I'd really struggled to find any work experience in the NHS because of my seriously busy schedule, particularly around exam season, but I finally managed to organise some with a doctor, called Sam, who had a clinic for looked after children. I spent a day with her in her clinic and was able to watch the complex interactions in a highly sensitive situation. This was unlike any other exposure I had had to medicine before and I enjoyed discussing the way these situations were handled with Sam, including how she handled the emotionally challenging cases she saw daily. Something that I found particularly difficult was the often detached and impersonal way the fosterers could talk about the children they were caring for. I found it difficult to see carers discussing 'problems' they were having with the children they were looking after while they were in the room. Often the carer would talk about the child in a very negative way, despite the fact that they were present at the time. I brought this up with Sam after one particularly difficult consultation, telling her how I found it sad that the young boy had to sit and listen to the carer basically complain about him. She explained to me that often the view of an outsider on these types of situations can be that they are harsh and upsetting but that through training and exposure, she reassured me that these things become easier and that finding it difficult was simply a sign of remaining compassionate, as opposed to be unsuited to a medical career.
Another part of this experience I found interesting was discussing ADHD, as it is diagnosed more often in looked after children than average. I learnt that this is because looked after children are often victims of trauma, which can cause similar symptoms meaning that they are misdiagnosed as having ADHD, when in fact they are simply responding to their hyper vigilance, as opposed to hyperactivity. When I got home, I looked into this more, and found an article which described that children who experienced trauma, such as violence, are much more sensitive to subtle changes in tone of voice, facial expression or body language due to a fight or flight mentality they have been forced to adopt. This explains why often at school, they can seem easily distracted by irrelevant concepts, such as sounds around them or the behaviour of other children. This can cause concentration on normal subjects to be hugely difficult for the children, and can be easily misdiagnosed as ADHD. The article (http://healthyliving.msn.com/diseases/adhd/diagnosis-adhd—or-is-it-trauma-1?pageart=2) states that often the drugs prescribed for ADHD can act as a stimulant, which of course would make the symptoms worse. This, to me, highlights how important it is to ensure the correct diagnosis is made, especially given that fostering, adoption and placement are all considered to be potentially traumatising.
Sam also allowed me to attend a genetics lecture organised by the department. Despite struggling to keep up with some of the more complex ideas, (especially those involving lots of acronyms that I had never heard of!) one thing I took out of the talk was an interest in Huntington's disease. This was brought up because it causes an ethical difficulty when screening looked after children whose grandparents have showed symptoms. If the parents do not wished to be screened or would rather not know if they have the mutation related with HD, it becomes difficult to screen the children, because of course if they are positive, it's obvious that one of the parents is also positive (because it is autosomal dominant mutation and does not skip generations). This is a problem because if a grandparent has symptoms or has been confirmed as having HD, there is a chance the child will also have it, and one could argue that the child deserves the right to be screened, particularly in cases where the gene is suspected to be from the father. This is due to greater instability in the paternal genes than maternal genes, meaning the mutation could be greater and therefore could lead to early onset Huntington's.

No comments:

Post a Comment